Vision The Robert Service School Council, through a recognition of representing and answering to a multi-cultural community, are committed to respectfully promoting an open platform for communication in consideration of all voices and groups within the school and town community while ensuring that the students’ best interests remain the guiding principle.
Values • RESPECT • COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT • TEAMWORK APPROACH • WORKING WITH OTHER GROUPS AND ORGANIZATIONS IN THE SCHOOL AND COMMUNITY COOPERATIVELY • FOCUSED AND EFFECTIVE APPROACH • HONEST AND OPEN COMMUNICATION
Ground Rules Guiding School Council Meetings • Aim to stay on track and avoid tangents. • Quorum is a majority; 5 people out of a council of 8. • Chair only votes if a tiebreaker is required. • Attendance: Council members will let another council member know if they are unable to attend a meetin. • Respectful/Active Listening in all communication. • Agenda items must be added no later than 1 week before scheduled meetings. • Meetings are not to exceed 3 hours, at which point remaining agenda items will be tabled to next meeting or separate meeting. • Delegations will be given 15 minutes for presentation. • Council members will remain conscientious of Confidentiality Oaths as sworn. • Resolutions to be recorded on separate forms as well as documented in minutes. • Cell phones are to be turned off during council meetings.
The Robert Service School Council, in its advisory capacity, serves as an on-going mechanism for effective two way communication between the school and the school community. In recognition of our duty to facilitate this communication, Robert Service School Council elects to follow the following procedures in communicating with the community;
1. Council Meetings are to be held the second Wednesday of every month. If for some reason this day proves to be impossible, the date will be adapted and well advertised as per item # 2 , 3 and 4.
2. Council Agendas are to be posted one week prior to all meetings at the school, at the post office, and on the Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in community board.
3. Council contact information and meeting dates are to be posted on the Shool Website and on the rolling ads. Anyone is welcome to approach council members or contact council @ firstname.lastname@example.org to have an item added to the agenda. All items must be added one week prior to meetings. No changes will be made to the agenda in the week leading up to the meeting.
4. Council information including contact information, meeting times and dates, agendas, Policies being reviewed and/or approved and approved minutes will be made available to the community on the Robert Service School Website. rss.yukonschools.ca. Under the “Information” tab select “School Council”
5. A copy of all approved minutes will be kept in the library for review as well.
6. An annual mail out will be issued from the Post Office to all mailboxes informing the community about Council operations and information including all of the above. The mail out will also include information on council members, council vision, and any information available on council proceedings.
7. If there is an issue that Council feels the community should be aware of and no information session or letter has been sent out by any other group regarding the matter, council elects to do a mail out through the school to go home to all students to inform parents.